Thursday 17 March 2016

Bean and Beetroot Burgers

Looking for a new take on the classic bean burger I raided the 'fridge and came up with this tasty delight. I've yet to develop green fingers and grow my own herbs and I'd already used up my fresh supplies so I resorted to the store cupboard for the dried varieties. If you have fresh, use them but up the quantity to a tablespoon.




Ingredients
400g Red kidney beans, I used raw beans, soaked then cooked
200g Purple beetroot, cooked and peeled
100g Porridge oats
1 Red onion, diced
1 Thai red chilli, sliced, seeds and all
1 tsp Ground coriander
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 tsp Dried thyme
Salt
1 egg

Natural yoghurt
Char-grilled red peppers, skins removed
Rocket leaves

Method
Put the beans, beetroot, onion, chilli, oats and herbs into a bowl and blend to a thick paste with a hand held blender - or pulse in a food processor. 
Season with salt then mix in the egg. 
Chill for 15 minutes or until ready to cook.
Shape the bean mixture into small balls.
Heat a little sunflower oil in a pan. Add the balls and press down to form a pattie. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes before transferring to an oven dish.
Bake at 190C for 20 minutes.

Mix chopped char-grilled peppers into some natural yoghurt and spoon onto the burgers, top with the rocket leaves and serve accompanied by sweet potato wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment