Thursday 30 July 2015

Feasting in the Philippines

As usual me and Mr E. have been off travelling and diving and this has meant a lack of cooking to blog about. The Philippines was our destination and offers less by way of culinary contributions than its Asian neighbours of Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand, but ever in search of inspiration I think I have a few potentials to try. 


Whilst at Atmosphere Resort in Dauin, Negros Island I tasted the delightful Kinilaw; a fish cevice with chillies and coconut milk. It was totally delicious and everyone really enjoyed the taste, so much so that between our group we ordered at least one portion each evening. I’ve yet to make it at home but believe me it is on the Must Do list. The resort had also introduced a new Healthy Living menu with some interesting combinations – one of which I’ve already tried to recreate was a bean burger – without the bread! Think of a delicious stack of bean pattie, roasted vegetables and feta/haloumi cheese – yum yum yum. So having seen the photos on line I was eagerly awaiting to try it and indeed it was totally scrumptious. I’ll be making this again – but we have ours with homemade potato wedges.



I also took note of how our food was served. We were often given a portion of risotto as an accompaniment, whereas I have typically had risotto as a standalone dish either as a starter or main. So I found this a bit novel and since returning home we’ve had mushroom risotto as a side to our Sunday supper; Prune and Hazelnut stuffed Pork Loin. So though not necessarily a “local” dish there is still plenty to glean from dining out – especially when the chef rocks!

I’ll keep you posted on my advancements with the cevice – perhaps this weekend will be first taste tester –l et you know if we are still alive come Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment