Tuesday 23 December 2014

Party Time

The festive season is upon us, which typically in our household means over indulgence and plenty of parties to prepare for. I have a fairly standard party menu that mostly involves finger food. I find it so much more sociable to graze with a glass of bubbly or cocktail than it is to sit in a corner, precariously balancing a plate on your lap, especially if like me you are known for making a huge mess and spilling things.


So a classic gathering would need to include plenty of nibblies (yes Thomas’ Germish comes through here) starting with a selection of dips. My main stays are houmous, guacamole and a Tunisian carrot dip, to which I’ve recently added a spiced beetroot dip made from a blend of beetroot, yoghurt, lime juice and cumin. I serve with a selection of crispy vegetable sticks, such as carrots and sweet peppers as well as tortilla chips – if you are feeling creative you can easily make you own or if not no one will mind the shop bought ones but just be careful not to get the cheesy varieties as they don’t go so well with the dip selection!



Next up come the “Party Pumperknickel”. The first time I experienced these lovely delights was with family in Froettstaedt. The pumperknickel comes in thin round discs to which you can add all manner of toppings. I typically opt for olive tapenade, smoked salmon, salami and goats cheese – layering each up with tomato, cucumber, chutney and salad leaves to create an interesting morsel in bite-size; reminiscent of the Spanish pinchos. My Mum makes a delicious smoked fish pate that goes wonderfully with these too.

Blinis also make a fabulous vessel for carrying tasty tidbits to your mouth. Smoked salmon and cream cheese is of course a classic combo but add a little chopped beetroot and rocket to elevate them to party mode.

Now you need something on a stick! Chicken satay or grilled vegetables with marinated haloumi cheese are my favourites. Both are easy to prepare ahead and delicious cold but reserve a few in case they all go quickly.


A tart or two is always handy and a bit more filling than some of the other items on the table. Sticking with a mostly vegetarian spread I opt for either courgette tart, chickpea and spinach flan or spiced pumpkin and roasted pepper tart. All can be made ahead and freeze well (just defrost thoroughly and warm in the oven for 10 minutes). Remember to cut into narrow wedges so that no fork and knife is required.

Depending upon the number of people expected and the prep time I have, I’ll add lentil, chicken polpette. If I were serving for a full meal I’d make them larger but for parties these small “meat balls” need to be shaped so they can be popped into your mouth. Lentils and cheese hold together well and can be re-heated. The chicken or pork I mix with asian ingredients such as lemon grass and coriander then wrap in a lime leaf before baking to infuse even more yummy flavour. Sweet chilli or hoi sin dipping sauce works well as an addition to the meat whilst mint/yoghurt is great for the lentil version.

The table is complete. The bubbly is cold. The cocktails are ready to mix. And I have German Schnapps. Who’s coming over?

No comments:

Post a Comment